I was issued a challenge! How exciting! Well…a kind of challenge, anyway. Lol. It’s actually more of a “pass the torch” type thing, so it’s all in good fun. Anyway, this challenge comes to me from the awesome Miss Anna of Film Grimoire. You can read the details of the Six Degrees of Separation Blogathon on Anna’s site, but you can also read about its origins over at My Filmviews where it all began. The basic challenge is this: you are given two names of actors/actresses/directors or movies, and in six steps or less, you must link them. My challenge? Link Dane DeHaan to Max von Sydow. Ready? LET’S DO THIS!!!
1. Though I have not seen it (and I really need to), I know that Dane DeHaan had a role in Lawless, which starred (among many other excellent actors) the superb Mr. Tom Hardy.
2. Tom Hardy was at his sassiest in one of my all-time favorites, Inception, in which he shares some screen time with the incomparable Mr. Leonardo DiCaprio.
3. Leonardo DiCaprio has had a whole slew of awesome roles in a whole slew of awesome films, but you know what came out in 2010 along with Inception? Shutter Island! And you know who else was in Shutter Island?! MAX VON SYDOW!!! BOOM!!!
THREE DEGREES, SON!!! HOW YA LIKE ME NOW??? …Woah. Sorry, guys. I got a little excited. Anyway, I had fun connecting the dots, and I’m excited to see how the next blogger works out my challenge! And that blogger will be…Zoë from The Sporadic Chronicles of a Beginner Blogger! Zoë, your mission (should you choose to accept it) is this: find a link between Max von Sydow and the movie WALL-E! (Sidenote: as some of you know, Zoë became familiar with WALL-E earlier this year, as evidenced in her excellent review of it here). Best of luck, lady! Also, here’s a little graphic for you to use (thanks again for the help with that, Anna):
BUT WAIT!!! WE’RE NOT DONE YET!!!
Shortly after beginning this write-up, the torch was passed to me once again–this time by the fantastic Miss Natalie over at Writer Loves Movies! The challenge for this round was to link Gary Cooper to Colin Firth, and lemme tell ya, this was no cakewalk. Hahaha. My problem is I’m not super familiar with a lot of Cooper’s stuff, so I really had to do some digging. But I think I worked it out! It’s probably in a super roundabout way that several people will immediately find easier solutions for…but it is what it is. Bahaha. So here we go!
1. Aaaaand we’re already starting out with one I haven’t seen! Haha. Apparently, Gary Cooper was in an oldie entitled The Hanging Tree with Oscar-winner George C. Scott (who won his Oscar for Patton, which I have seen).
2. George C. Scott was in the supremely unnecessary Exorcist III (I mean really–who called for a third Exorcist film, let alone a second?) with creeper extraordinaire, Brad Dourif.
3. Brad Dourif joined the LOTR cast for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, which, of course, stars the ever-awesome Sir Ian McKellen.
4. Ian McKellen returned to his role as Gandalf the Grey for the Hobbit films, all of which also star Martin Freeman, whom I love with all of my heart.
5. And FINALLY, Martin Freeman brings us to Love Actually, which also features…you got it! Colin Firth!
Phew! That tired me out, y’all. Thanks for the workout, Natalie! Haha. As for this particular challenge…hmm…got it! I shall issue it to Tom from Digital Shortbread! That’s right, my friend–you’re up! And here’s your challenge: find a link between Colin Firth and the movie Coraline! (What can I say? I’m in an animated movie mood.) Good luck on your mission, Tom! This message will self-destruct in–BOOM!!!